Bars of glass




Outside 
the day drifts by 

Every now and then
I look up from my work 
and see the changes in the sky
and I pause,

- quiet -

feeling distanced from the riot 
of the highway and its people, 
another day goes by me
I've become another sheeple.
Sitting at my desk
instead of 
laughing with my friends,
and before I can appreciate the day
it quietly ends.

Rather,
I stoop and stare through windows
(bars of glass)
My hair untouched by wind,
my skin untouched by sun
- for me the day has ended
even before it has begun -

I stop my childish dreaming
place my feet firm on the ground
and force upon myself
that money
makes this world go round.

For we are actors on life's stage
may not be brave may not be bold,
we must perform to earn our wage,
 and we must act as we are told, 

must sacrifice it all
and be content within 
our cage.

No comments: